Thursday, 8 January 2015

[030115-060115] BANGKOK DAY 1

Virgin BKK trip which happened cos SQ had this two-to-go promotion so flights to BKK were like at $200+ only.

Went to the airport without sleep cos as usual, i couldn't get to sleep all the way till my dad woke up so might as well don't sleep already right?

And guess who was on TV at the boarding gate? ^^ Never knew channel 5 was repeating her show at like 6 plus am lol. Super super old show of hers.

And spot my new minion passport cover. Cute right? Shall use it till i next go to BKK then i'll get the personalised leather one LOL cos i scared people judge me. 

And the chioest sunrise happened just before we got on board the plane. Saw this other girl snapping photos before me so i also hurriedly snapped one before I had to board the plane.

And the sun when we were on board the plane. 
Such a beautiful sight minus the wing of the plane lol. I don't like the wing in my photos, but yet I don't wanna be seated too far back on the plane cos it will take very long before I get to leave the plane LOL so ok i'll make do with the wing. #auntieproblems

Was so famished I forgot to take a photo before eating HAHAHA. Yummy scrambled eggs, hash brown and bacon! I realised this time the food on both flights not bad leh I don't rmb being impressed with airplane food last time lol.

AND WE HAVE REACHED. 
Here's when the excitement started building up because it's my first time to BKK and with all first times comes excitement right! 
But then....the excitement lasted a mere 15 minutes or so, until we got to the customs/immigration queue lol. It was shorter than what I expected though. I read on some blog that clearing immigration can take up to 1.5h, so that person made sure to head directly to the immigration line and not stop to pee or whatever. So we did just that LOL. #auntie 
Think we queued about 30-45 minutes? And as the queue got longer and longer behind us, there's this sense of glee within me lol.

ok this was taken on the phone and i was trying to be discreet about taking a photo of a token so it's not even focusing on the token lol.
And long story behind this hahaha
Originally planned to take taxi cos my mum wanted to, so off we went to the taxi area and took a slip of paper from this machine. It tells us the lot number to go to and also the name of the taxi driver and car plate number. Just as we were about to get to the taxi, IT DROVE OFF WITHOUT US? The woman manning the machines told us to wait when we asked her. So we waited for 5 min, 7 min...but still no taxi in sight (ok don't think we reached 10 min cos i'm impatient when it comes to stuff like this and it was q evident the taxi wasn't coming back)
So we asked for another number, but the woman took a number for the bigger taxi, which we don't need (again, i've heard stories of how taxi drivers in bkk rip tourists off "pay more cos big taxi"). so we got yet another number. This time, the lot was empty so we waited. Then the taxi came.......and surprise surprise, the car plate number doesn't match. My dad went to ask the taxi driver la, so he went away to settle it. And in the meantime, this mother and daughter came to that particular taxi and was waiting.... The taxi driver was nice enough to help us get a number that corresponded to his taxi, but then cannot, the mother and daughter were earlier so they got that taxi.
And that ended our attempt-to-take-taxi story. Dunno wasted how much time lol.
This system was probably implemented to help tourists. By giving them the taxi driver name and car plate number, they can lodge complaints should they be scammed or ripped off. But then in our case, it was more of a hassle than of help -.-
Ok, so we ended up taking the airport rail which was my initial plan anyway lol
but the hotel was some distance away and the road was quite hard to walk la and it was very hot hahahah so erm tradeoff lor cos 1. no jam 2. no need scared kena scam 3. cheap (it was 45baht/less than 2sgd per pax to our station. which makes it less than 6sgd in total. our return trip to the airport was quoted 400baht/16sgd. so do the math lol).




Stayed at Amari Watergate Hotel, cos I've read about it a few times on various blogs and this hotel was quite popular amongst Singaporeans. And where else can you stay at a 5 star hotel for less than 200sgd per night lol

And it's situated directly opposite the famous platinum mall.
At this time it was probably 11 plus or 12 plus already so off we went to the famous Sabx2 Wanton Mee place for lunch. It was a short distance down from the hotel and took about 10minutes to get there.

Pork trotters here are damn nice. And like what other people say, the pork trotters here are underrated.

And the wanton mee. 
Super small bowl (looks like a lot in this photo but a few spoons finish already la) but q yummy. Only cos it's cooked in lard oil or something -shudders-

And the shop front. 
No worries about ordering because there are staff who can speak chinese. And you can always point at other tables lolol

To get to Chit Lom station (nearest BTS station), we had to walk about 15 minutes, passing by Centralworld. And there was this snoopy thing going on lol. And I love how the christmas decorations are all still intact lol. Still got christmas feeling~

Popped by Erawan Shrine first because it was on the way and because my father wanted to go.

And then we went to Terminal21 (Nearest BTS: Asok)
Ok, there's nothing much here honestly. Original plan was to see the decor and shop around then go to Roast (Nearest BTS: Thong lor) for second lunch but then after Mookata, which I read was good, but I thought was erm at best normal only, we were too stuffed. So, I shall go to Roast next time then!





Bar B Q Plaza.
Level 4, Terminal 21
Took this promotional set, which had stuff like scallops and salmon and enoki mushroom lol and it was only 699 baht nett (which means it's about 28sgd only for 3 pax!!) Oh and it came with this not-very-huge jug of coca cola, and we got 2 free scoops of greentea icecream cos of some lucky dip lol.
So very worth la though erm I had higher expectations of mookata. 
Currently, korean bbq is still the best.


On the basement floor, there was a taokaenoiland, so of course I had to buy seaweed.
And shark's fin flavoured seaweed leh, must try!
Turns out, it didn't taste like shark's fin lol.
I'm actually completely against eating shark's fin la, but I didn't believe this was flavoured with real shark's fin so I bought it anyway.


Ok so after exploring all the levels, we went back to Siam area for dinner.
Actually kept going back to Siam area lol didn't even travel out much other than Terminal21 and chatuchak and union mall i realised.

Som Tam Nua
392/14 Siam Square Soi 5, Rama 1 Road
Directions: Nearest BTS Siam station. Main building to look out for would be Bangkok Bank. Turn into the alley before Bangkok Bank if it is in front of you. If Bangkok Bank is on your left, turn into the alley after Bangkok Bank. The striking som tam nua signboard would bring you to your destination lol.
Thai Iced Tea.

Some vermicelli thing which looks harmless but was actually SPICY. And I was expecting pad thai lor lol but apparently not. The english translation sounded every bit like pad thai, but nevermind.

Som Tam / Papaya Salad (forgot which version was this)
Had a lot of peanuts so I didn't touch this much lol.
The salted egg one would have been much better I think.

Northeast Style Spicy Soup with Pork Bone.
Online reviews recommended this, but erm I would say it's only average. Nothing special, nothing worth mentioning.

Fried Chicken.
Only thing worth coming for. MUST ORDER.

Somtamnua saw a queue after we left, so yup they are doing well hahaha. In the background of this picture, you would see Ban Khun Mae, a restaurant we visited on the last night for authentic thai food. (though not very spicy, so dunno how authentic la)
This place is also near to Chang's Massage, which is apparently quite well known.


Yakult like drink lol definitely helped me with digestion after my 4 meals that day LOL.




No comments: